Using PayPal When Living Abroad

Posted by srewah

There are many US citizens living and working abroad in countries which cannot use PayPal. PayPal is used by many, many countries to pay their employees, especially freelance writers. With so many complications in the pay schedule, more and more US citizens are seeking ways to use PayPal and still live out of the country.

Here is a solution to the problem which is very easy to do. First of all, PayPal is very cooperative in helping anyone setup a PayPal account, but in many steps they will make suggestions and you have to do the rest. This is the solution that I used to resolve my problems with them. I am a freelance writer for both Helium and Suite101 and they both require the use of PayPal. You can contact payPal here and find out the best solution for you.

Step number 1:

The first thing you must do as many of us did was to close our existing PayPal account. I opened a PayPal account, not realizing Jordan was not an acceptable country through PayPal. I was very disheartened and did not know how to support myself and satisfy PayPal's requirements, so a customer service representative told me what to do.

He told me to use an address in America and have a bank account there if possible. Opening a bank account in America: So I opened a Bank of America Checking account through the Internet at Bank of America and they were so nice to help me. I did not have to mail in ID's or anything, they verified who I was by asking me a series of questions.

They knew where I lived 30 years ago and I had to laugh at trying to remember my old addresses. They also check on your former employments. After I was verified, she gave me 30 days to make a deposit. The initial deposit is $25 and there is no monthly fees if you open the "My Access Checking Account" over the Internet. I can make transfers, such as sending money to PayPal and pay bills too.

I have a paperless statement set up with them. The stipulation they have, like PayPal is that you need to have a place in America who can receive your mail and your ATM cards.

Step number 2:

I closed my PayPal account and found that I could not reopen the account again using an address in America. I guess their computers are very smart. So again I contacted PayPal and they told me how to get around this problem. I called my sister and told her to open the account for me and verify my bank account. She did that and it opened fine.

Keep in mind that you cannot open the PayPal account until you receive your ATM card from Bank of America, so you can verify bank information with PayPal. After I opened my bank account, I called Bank of America and set up a pass code and site code protecting my security. I am now able to do many things. After I had the pass code, I went on-line with PayPal and automatically verified my bank account.

Usually they send a small amount of money to your bank account and ask you to verify the amount of money deposited. To avoid this three day waiting period, I gave
them the user name and pass code and the verified my account instantly. I now can receive my paychecks through PayPal.

It is absolutely wonderful, as I can send gifts to my son for Christmas, I can pay my private editor for the help she gives me and yes even send my sister a birthday present. All these transfers with PayPal are absolutely free. I can also request money from my bank account and PayPal does not charge but Bank of America does charge $3 for this service.

I cannot tell you how happy this makes me to have this problem settled. It did take a little bit of time, but it is well worth the effort. Western Union cost very much to wire money, where PayPal transfers the money instantly and without a fee. I hope my way of opening my account with PayPal is of service to everyone in my same situation.